Monday, January 31, 2022

A Refreshing Hike at the Castle Crags River Trail

The Sacramento River

   

Date: June 27, 2020
Place: Castle Crags State Park
Coordinates: 41.149827, -122.307357
Length: 3.1 miles
Level: easy


All of our plans for the summer break of 2020 were shattered by COVID. The chikas were in distance earning since March and at the beginning of the summer break we still didn't know if they'll be going back to school in the fall (they didn't). Those 'two weeks until the curve is flattened' were extended, seemingly forever. Thankfully we remained physically healthy, but we seriously needed a break from the choking environment of the Bay Area. The rural areas of California and the neighboring states were much less restricted, and we chose to go on a week long road trip to Bend, Oregon. We drove north on I-5 and stopped for an afternoon hike at Castle Crags State Park, near Mount Shasta. 
We've hiked numerous times in Castle Crags State Park, but always as a break on the way from one place to another. And I never wrote about any of our hikes there before. There is a lot to see there, and one day I'll make it a sole destination to explore. 
The River Trail seems separate from the rest of the park not only by the freeway, but also because it's not in the crags area. It's an easy walk along the north fork of the Sacramento River, which makes it a great little hike to break a long drive with. 
Our hike as captured by my GPS 

Right away, just at the beginning of the hike, I saw white lilies blooming. I've never seen those in the wild and at first I thought these were cultivated lilies that escaped to the wild. This lily is however, a native California species.  
Washington Lily, Lilium washingtonianum

The trail follows the river fairly closely most of the way. Most of the way it is also impossible to see the river because of the thick vegetation.  

The chikas found a short millipede on the trail and call me excitedly to take a photo. The little guy was making its way across the path, getting away from us as fast as it could. 

We assumed our usual waling order in which Pappa Quail and the elder chika are in the lead, followed by the younger chika, and me bringing up the rear. I like to stop whenever I see wildflowers or other interesting sights.  
California Harebell, Asyneuma prenanthoides

The chikas wanted to get to the water. When we saw the river for the first time on the trail it was below us and there was no easy access down. On the map it looked like there would be suitable places further ahead. I hoped that would turn out to be true. 
The Sacramento River

There were many spider webs along the trail. I admire these little weaved wonders and the creatures that make them. 

I was surprised to see how many people were using that trail. It wasn't very crowded but there was certainly a good number of humans present. Most of them however, weren't exactly hiking. Many of them were dressed beach attire and were carrying floaters and coolers. I took it as a reassurance that there would be river access further on that trail. 
None of the other trail users seem to notice the little orchids that bloomed in the wetter parts of the trail. 

The bleeding heart is common enough in the Northern California forested areas but I always love to see it on my hikes. Its pink, drooping flowers don't remind me of a heart shape, and they certainly don't look 'bleeding' to me, but my opinion wasn't taken into account when naming this plant.  
Bleeding Heart, Dicentra formosa 

I caught up with Pappa Quail and the chika when they stopped to photograph a lizard that was sunning itself near the trail. The lizard seemed cooperative enough so I photographed it too. 
Alligator Lizard 

We kept looking for a river access but the trail was still to high above the water with much vegetation in between. At some point we had to take a short detour around a side tributary.

Back near the river, more wildflowers were painting our way, such as the impressive-looking tiger lily. It doesn't show it in the photograph, but these lilies are tall plants, almost adult human size. Their bright orange flowers are visible from a long distance away.
California Tiger Lily, Lilium pardalinum

Another prominent color along that trail was added by the sweet pea - a very aggressive invasive plant, that has taken over wide areas in Northern California.
Sweet Pea, Lathyrus odoratus. Non-native, invasive

At last we found access to the river. As I had expected, the place was already occupied by many other humans. The water looked too turbulent as well. We decided to continue on, and I promised the chikas that we could stop here on the way back if we won't find a better spot.
The Sacramento River
 
I caught up with Pappa Quail while he was photographing a little Pacific wren. These birds are common enough, but are hard to see, let alone photograph. It's easier to hear them for they have a lovely, distinct song.
Pacific Wren

I don't know if the empty nest that Pappa Quail had found later was a wren's nest. I hope that whichever bird it belonged to was successful in rearing its fledglings to take flight.

Nest






We were getting near the end of the trail. On our way we saw a few more river access places, but all of them were already occupied. I was just fine to continue walking but I knew we had to appease the chikas with some river time. meanwhile I tried to keep them excited with the botanical wonders we saw along the way.
Wood Rose, Rosa gymnocarpa 

The trail ends with a Private Property sign. We had reached the park's northeastern boundary. Turning around we found the nearest place with river access and went down to sit by the water and have snacks. The water looked inviting and the chikas took their shoes off and waded a bit near the shore. Pappa Quail and I sat in the shade of a tree and watched the water flow by us. It was a hot day and a nice, quiet afternoon. We still had some drive ahead of us - we planned to reach Klamath Falls by night.
Sacramento River

When I got tired of sitting I did a little exploration of my own in the bushes and came upon this insect of a kind I've never seen before. I kept looking for them on the way back and found a few more. I still don't know what they are.

After a nice break by the river Pappa quail reminded us that we needed to get back to the car. On the way back we saw more people yet making their way to the river stops. The trail was turning more populous than I was comfortable with at the time. It was time to get back.
The Sacramento River

The River Trail is an in-and-out trail. We backtracked, walking quickly, hardly stopping for anything on the way. The chikas started talking about dinner (which we planned to have in the town of Mt. Shasta). The shadows were getting longer but the day was still hot.


 I've hiked numerous times in Castle Crags State Park, yet this trail is the first I write about, and it is the least characteristic of this park's hikes. It is a fitting one to start with though, since each time we've been in that park it was on the way to some other place. Hopefully the next time I go there it'll be to stay and explore it as it deserving.



2 comments:

  1. It's not easy having school age kids at COVID times... Good you took this break

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outdoors have always been my escape route ... `they'd tried to close it too but couldn't!

      Delete