Saturday, September 30, 2023

Up to the High Lakes of Lassen Volcanic National Park, Day 1


Date: July 28, 2023
Place: Lassen Volcanic National Park, Old Station, California
Coordinates: 40.498199, -121.429734   
Length: 2 miles
Level: moderate


When I planned my trip to Lassen Volcanic National park last July, I was able to book a campsite for only two nights, and that was at the Butte Lake Campground, from which I set out on my Snag Lake hike and my Prospect Peak hike. On the third night, which was Saturday night, all the campgrounds in the park and vicinity were already booked. Wilderness permits however, were plentiful, so I booked myself a wilderness permit for Saturday night at the Summit Lake Trailhead area. When the time to head out came it was late in the afternoon and I was already after a long and tiring hike up Prospect Peak. I hoped to hike in until I find a place to camp for the night. 
My original thought was to hike a loop between Summit Lake, Terrace, Shadow, and Cliff Lakes, and Paradise Meadow. Having some time constraints I eventually settled for going up to Cliff and Terrace Lakes and return the same way. Camping near the lakes is not allowed but I hoped to find a suitable site near the creek before reaching the lakes. 
My hike as captured by my GPS

The ranger at the Loomis Visitor Center told me there was still much snow in the area of the lakes. He also informed me that camping near the lake is prohibited. I'd find suitable campsites before Cliff Lake, he said. 
I parked at the Summit Lake Ranger Station Parking area. Its a short walk along the road from there to the actual trailhead, which is almost hidden between the trees.  
Cliff Lake Trail

The trail begun level, inside a conifer forest. The trees were not too thick so there was nice undergrowth, and much of it was in bloom. Because the day was already getting old the lighting was poor and many of my photos didn't come out best. I got a second chance to photograph with much better lighting on my way out on the morrow. 
Fleabane, Erigeron sp. 

But the mariposa lilies I saw along the trail I photographed so many times that I had plenty to choose from. 
Sierra Mariposa Lily, Calochortus minimus

There is a wetland area near the trailhead. I didn't see it but I did feel its little, annoying representatives - the mosquitoes. I didn't want to smear the stinky deet all over me so I picked up my pace in an effort to leave the wetland and the mosquitoes behind me.  
Trail

Little grasshoppers jumped from beneath my feet, bursting into short flights, displaying colorful wings in yellow and orange. I saw them on my earlier hikes to Snag Lake and to Prospect Peak. On those hikes the grasshoppers were too quick for me to capture, but now i managed to get one of them on camera just before it too popped into the air. 
Grasshopper

After a good half a mile of nearly flat, and mostly shaded hike, the trail started sloping up and the conifer forest receded, making way for low manzanita ground cover. Going uphill now, I felt again my fatigue, having had two very strenuous hikes earlier that day and on the day before. I slowed down my pace and kept looking at my navigator to estimate how much I had yet to go. 
Trail

The manzanita ground cover was pretty uniform, leaving very little room for other plants to grow there. Near the trail grew a few other plants here and there, and they were in bloom.  
Cobwebby Paintbrush, Castilleja arachnoidea 

The manzanita didn't cover larger rocky spaces, but the now familiar to me slender penstemon thrived in the rock crevices. 
Slender Penstemon, Penstemon gracilentus 

A couple of day hikers descended from the lakes area. We met on the trail and we chatted for a little bit. They informed me that there was only little snow up by the lakes, despite what the ranger had told me. They also said that they didn't see anyone camping up the trail. I figured I shouldn't have much competition over desirable camping spots. 

I continued uphill slowly. I even stopped at one place to rest a little bit and drink water, and to listen to the shrill calls of the Clark's nutcracker from a nearby tree. The day was warm still, but getting cooler by the minute. The sun was getting low. I wasn't worried yet but I knew I'd have to find a place to camp soon. 
Clark's Nutcracker

The trail leveled again and once more I was walking in a shaded forest. The air cooled but as long as I kept moving I didn't feel cold. The trail was now too far from the main creek. Having water near the campsite was a must. Snow was an option too, but a less desirable one because wood stoves are not allowed in Lassen Volcanic National park, and melting snow would use up my camp fuel. Thankfully, that was not an issue on my hike because soon enough I started crossing side brooks that were flowing nicely.  They were narrow enough to be crossed with a single hop, even while carrying a heavy backpack. 
Brook

I started looking out for suitable camping places. I could have probably pitched my tent almost anywhere but I looked specifically for places that were used before so i won't have to clear the ground and scar the wilderness with my camping. 
Trail

I crossed another, smaller brook. There were wildflowers blooming along its banks but the light was too low to take any good photos. I resigned to trying again tomorrow, at a better lighting. 

All of a sudden the forest opened up and a long, narrow meadow came into view. The meadow was beautiful, lush and green, and on the other side of it loomed Reading Peak. A couple of snow patches adorned Reading Peak, but for the most, the mountain seemed exposed. 
Meadow and Reading Peak

Crossing the creek that flowed through the meadow was a bit more challenging because both of its banks were very muddy. This creek was too wide to hop across, but there were two strategically placed planks of wood and I balance-walked to the other side. 

Just there, distant enough from the meadow and just off the trail I found a suitable campsite, one that was clearly used before. I dropped my backpack and quickly pitched my tent as the sun was touching the horizon. 
My place of night's rest

The sun had set. I had enough daylight still to fetch water from the creek and to prepare dinner. I was all alone there, with no sign of any other human around, nor any wildlife larger than a squirrel. Tired and relaxed I entered my tent and went to sleep. 





2 comments:

  1. Well deserved sleep and nice hike after the challenging ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have thoughts of not doing this hike, but I'm glad I stuck to my plans. It was a good one.

      Delete