Thursday, February 16, 2023

A Forest Discovery Hike to Doris Lake

Bear Grass, Xerophyllum tenax


Date: July 2, 2020
Place: Three Sisters Wilderness, Bend, Oregon
Coordinates:  43.953476, -121.802428
Length: 5 miles
Level: moderate


The third day of our stay in Bend, Oregon on the summer of 2020 we hiked at the Three Sisters Wilderness. The Three Sisters, together with Mount Bachelor are the prominent Cascade volcanoes that tower over Bend on the west. The wilderness area, part of the Deschutes National Forest, has a wonderful selection of hiking trails. We hiked three trails there that day, the first one being the longest: an in-and-out hike to Doris Lake. 
Our hike as captured by my GPS

This trail is a backpacking trail which leads deep into the Three Sisters Wilderness. Going to Doris Lake and back however, is a nice day hike that doesn't require any permit or special preparation other than the usual hiking needs such as water, sun protection, and highly recommended also some mosquito repellant. A map or a navigator are always good to have on hikes but the trail is well marked and maintained. 

One of the things I noticed immediately about the Three Sisters Wilderness was that there were many more wildflowers blooming. It was nowhere near a superbloom event but the cooler weather and higher moisture levels certainly supported a more colorful summer.
Lupine

I assume that in no drought years the wildflowers are even more numerous and impressive than what we saw there in the summer of 2020.
Lupine

Not too far into the hike we came upon a little creek that crossed our path. In no drought year I think we might have seen more water, and possibly snow patches. I didn't see anything blooming near the water but the the mosquitoes made their presence clear so we quickly moved on. 

The first part of the hike was relatively flat with only minor uphill grade. the forest we walked through didn't look very healthy. Many of the trees were dead and limbless, lying on the ground or standing yet.  Other trees had only few green branches attached to their tops. There weren't obvious sigs of fire there and I wondered if the state of the forest was the result of the prolonged drought, perhaps in combination with the spread of the deadly boring beetle. I did notice much young growth and regeneration - whatever the prblem was, the forest was fighting back. 

The grade became steeper and we became more spread out. As usual I was walking at the rear. At some point I caught up with the rest of my family because Pappa Quail and the elder chila had seen a bird up a nearby tree. They got excited about this bird, thinking it might be a gray jay, but it turned out that it was a kingbird that had taken a bath and the wet feathers made it look darker. 
Eastern Kingbird

One of the wildflowers we did see plenty of was the bear grass, a plant that was commonly used by the Native Americans for basket making. Like large white candles, these lily-like plants lit the forest floor. It looked like they were still before peak bloom, all fresh blossoms. I couldn't get enough of them. 
Bear Grass, Xerophyllum tenax

As much as I was happy to see the many bear grass blossoms, the height of my botanical pleasure on this hike was when I saw mariposa lilies along the trail. I made a little dance of joy when I saw the first lily, and I stopped to admire it and to take photos when I heard my chika calling me frantically from around the curve ahead were she was. I clicked a few shots pf the lily and I run ahead to see what she was hollering about. It was another mariposa lily that she had found and called me to come and see it, sounding as urgent as if the flower would pull out its roots any moment and walk away ... I was glad that she kept on the lookout for me though. 
Cascade Mariposa Lily, Calochortus subalpinus

It seemed that the deeper we walked into the forest there were more wildflowers growing on the forest floor.
Cinquefoil, Potentilla sp.

The day was getting hot. The elder chika took the opportunity and dipped her hat in a another shallow creek that we crossed on our way. She replaced the dripping hat on her head and marched forward. I followed the wet droplets on the dusty trail.

Near the creek bloomed a few shooting stars. Not in large numbers, but they stood out beautifully against the green and gray of the forest floor. 
Shooting Star, Primula sp.

We saw a glimpse of blue between the trees and I had to calm the excitement of the chikas - this was Blow Lake, about half way to Doris Lake. I think the chikas were ready to settle for this lake but Pappa Quail and I urged them onward.
Blow Lake

I don't remember seeing many birds on this hike but there were some. Pappa Quail and the elder chika made sure not to miss any, even the most common ones.
Dark-eyed Junco

In the same manner, I was trying not to miss anything blooming along the way. It was great to see the lovely berry flowers, like white stars shining in the shade of the trees. 
Dwarf Bramble, Rubus lasiococcus

West of Blow Lake the trail became more ragged and also steeper, going up in a sequence of short high grade segments. The forest became denser too. A few times we spotted the mirror-like surface of a forest pond between the trees, and crossed anther shallow and quiet creek. In silent coordination, we walked quicker too, ready get to Doris Lake. 
Forest Pond

Between the creeks and the little forest ponds the forest soil was parched dry and dusty. Pockets of moisture were preserved under the denser bushes and below the cover of fallen leaves. Not many annual plants were growing in these areas. 

Every now and then I did see a patch of low vegetation that was lush and had wildflowers. Little bunchberry plants, also starlike, were growing in small patches under the trees. 
Western Bunchberry, Cornus unalaschkensis

We arrived Doris Lake and sat down to rest and eat. The trail continued into the wilderness but Doris Lake was as far as we were going. There wasn't any beach or any area that was comfortable to hang around for a while. There wasn't any backpackers' camping space nearby. 
Doris Lake

There were no waterfowl in Doris Lake but insects were plentiful, especially dragonflies and damselflies. The damselflies were busy with mating activities. 
Damselflies

The absence of waterfowl in Doris Lake disappointed my family birders. When we finished our snack break we started back right away without waiting anymore near the lake.  
Bear Grass, Xerophyllum tenax

The little forest birds were a different thing - they were all over the place. All of already familiar species, but Pappa Quail and the elder chika were busy photographing them all. 
Yellow-rumped Warbler

Although we were returning on the same trail we came up on, the sights were different from the new angle. The blooming trillium I saw on our way back. 
Trillium

We walked back downhill almost continuously, taking very few breaks. We did take one break by Blow Lake, the lake we skipped on the way up. Blow Lake had even less of a beach or nice sitting place than Doris Lake had. I took a few photos of the lake while Pappa Quail and the elder chika confirmed the absence of waterfowl in this lake as well.
Blow Lake

 I saw an interesting looking thistle on the way back. I like the thistles despite their thorns and common presence. 


On the way back we also had a direct view of Mount Bachelor. Usually this volcano has  much more snow but the drought and heat had reduced it to  thin hair-like streaks of white. 
Mount Bachelor

The Sisters were less visible from where we were but I did catch a glimpse of the South Sister volcano between the trees.
The South Sister

While I was trying to capture the best images of the majestic Cascade volcanoes, the elder chika found a woodpecker busy on one of the sickly looking pines. It wasn't as exciting as the black-backed woodpecker we saw near Paulina Lake but it was the most exciting bird on this hike.
Hairy Woodpecker

When we crossed the last creek the chikas were ahead of us, speedwalking toward the parking area. I paused to take some more photos of wildflowers growing in the mist soil by the creek and to think of what's next. This 5 miles hike was nice but we walked it quite quickly and the day was still young. 
Monkeyflower, Erythranthe sp.

When we started the hike I ignored the mushrooms that were growing on a dead log by the trailhead. I couldn't ignore them on our return because the young chika pointed them out to me, very proud of her find. They were very lovely looking and I thanked her. 


I wanted this entire day to be at the Three Sisters Wilderness so I suggested another hike nearby, one that I saw on the Audubon Society website, and my suggestion was accepted. So after a short snack break we got in the car and continued to Sparks Lake. 

 
Many thanks to members of the Oregon Native Plants Discussion Group for their help in identifying plants!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Very nice hike because I like the wildflowers... The mushrooms are very nice too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love forest hikes. It always feels to me like I'm walking inside a fairytale

      Delete